Because of greater knowledge of the number of Americans accept mental illnesses and addiction disorders and just how costly the entire healthcare expenses are suitable for this group, we’ve arrived at a vital tipping point with regards to healthcare reform. We know the significance of treating the healthcare requirements of people with serious mental illnesses and answering the behavior healthcare requirements of all Americans. This really is creating a number of exciting possibilities for that behavior health community and a number of unparalleled challenges mental-health organizations over the U.S. are going to provide expertise and leadership that supports member organizations, federal agencies, states, health plans, and consumer groups in making certain the key issues facing persons with mental-health insurance and substance use disorders are correctly addressed and built-into healthcare reform.
Awaiting parity and mental healthcare reform legislation, the numerous national and community mental health organizations happen to be thinking, meeting and writing for well more than a year. The work they do continues as well as their outputs guide individuals organizations lobbying for government healthcare reform..
MENTAL HEALTH SERVICE DELIVERY
1. Mental Health/Substance Use Health Provider Capacity Building: Community mental health insurance and substance use treatment organizations, group practices, and individual clinicians will have to enhance their capability to provide measurable, high-performing, prevention, early intervention, recovery and wellness oriented services and supports.
2. Person-Centered Healthcare Homes: You will see much greater interest in integrating mental health insurance and substance use clinicians into primary care practices and first health care providers into mental health insurance and substance use treatment organizations, using emerging and finest practice clinical models and powerful linkages between primary care and niche behavior healthcare.
3. Peer Counselors and Consumer Operated Services: We will have growth of consumer-operated services and integration of peers in to the mental health insurance and substance use workforce and repair array, underscoring the critical role these efforts play in supporting the recovery and wellness of persons with mental health insurance and substance use disorders.
4. Mental Health Clinic Guidelines: The interest rate of development and distribution of mental health insurance and substance use clinical guidelines and clinical tools increases with support in the new Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute along with other research and implementation efforts. Obviously, thing about this initiative includes helping mental illness patients look for a mental health clinic nearby.
MENTAL HEALTH SYSTEM MANAGEMENT
5. State medicaid programs Expansion and Medical Health Insurance Exchanges: States will have to undertake major change ways to enhance the quality and cost of mental health insurance and substance use services at parity because they redesign their State medicaid programs systems to organize for expansion and style Medical Health Insurance Exchanges. Provider organizations will have to be capable of working with new State medicaid programs designs and hire and bill services with the Exchanges.
6. Employer-Backed Health Plans and Parity: Employers and benefits managers will have to redefine using behavior health services to deal with absenteeism and presenteeism and create a more resilient and productive workforce. Provider organizations will have to tailor their service choices to satisfy employer needs and use their contracting and billing systems.
7. Accountable Care Organizations and Health Plan Redesign: Payers will encourage and perhaps mandate the introduction of new management structures that support healthcare reform including Accountable Care Organizations and health plan redesign, supplying assistance with how mental health insurance and substance use ought to be incorporated to enhance quality and manage total healthcare expenses. Provider organizations should be a part of and be proprietors of ACOs that develop within their communities.
MENTAL HEALTHCARE INFRASTRUCTURE
8. Quality Improvement for Mental Healthcare: Organizations such as the National Quality Forum will accelerate the introduction of a nationwide quality improvement strategy which contains mental-health insurance and substance use performance measures that’ll be accustomed to improve delivery of mental-health insurance and substance use services, patient health outcomes, and population health insurance and manage costs. Provider organizations will have to get the infrastructure to function in this particular framework.
9. Health It: Federal and condition HIT initiatives have to reflect the significance of mental-health insurance and substance use services and can include mental-health insurance and substance use providers and knowledge needs in funding, design work, and infrastructure development. Provider organizations will have to be in a position to implement electronic health records and patient registries and fasten scalping strategies to community health information systems and health information exchanges.
10. Healthcare Payment Reform: Payers and health plans will have to design and implement new payment mechanisms including situation rates and capitation which contain value-based purchasing and cost-based insurance design strategies which are suitable for persons with mental health insurance and substance use disorders. Providers will have to adapt their practice management and billing systems and work processes to be able to use these new mechanisms.
11. Workforce Development: Major efforts including work from the new Workforce Advisory Committee is going to be required to create a national workforce technique to meet the requirements of persons with mental health insurance and substance use disorder including growth of peer counselors. Provider organizations will have to take part in these efforts and anticipate to increase their workforce to satisfy unfolding demand.